The Levy-East House is a two-story structure with gabled roof and twin brick chimneys. The second story balcony is supported by four slender iron columns and encircled by iron lace of the same design as that of the old New Orleans Mint. From the front porch, an iron-grilled door leads to the century-old garden. The big magnolia tree in the side yard is said to be over a hundred years old. A large gingko tree stands at the back porch. Bayou Amulet, the ravine on the south side of the yard, was originally called Bayou a Muler’.
In the 1830’s, Trizzini and Soldini built the old house as an office and home for Dr. Nicholas Michel Friedelezy, a French Canadian. To the original one-story red brick structure, and upper story of wood was added before the Civil War. Court records show that the house, lot, and two slaves of the late Dr. Friedelezy were sold at auction Jan. 10, 1840, the house for $3700 to John A. DeBussy. From 1854 to 1891 the Tauzin family owned the home. In 1891, Leopold Levy and his wife Justine Dreyfus Levy purchased the house. Of their six children, four were born in this house.
When Avery and Judy East purchased the home in 1994, it was in a great state of disrepair. The house did, however, contain a multitude of furnishings. The East’s proceeded to restore both the house and the furnishings. The home serves as one of Natchitoches’ Bed and Breakfast Inns, hosting guests from all over the world.
In spring 2012, the Levy-East house was damaged extensively by fire. It was determined that this historical treasure could not be saved and the property was cleared.